Yield: 1, 9-inch round cake
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Cooling Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
For the Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper and spray the sides with organic non-stick cooking spray.
2. Melt the extra dark chocolate chucks over a double boiler or in a microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the melted chocolate and beat once more. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg until well mixed. With the mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and milk, alternating between the two until both are just incorporated.
5. Transfer batter to prepared cake pan and smooth the top. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Remove cake from pan and transfer to a cake plate.
For the Ganache Topping:
1. Place the extra dark chocolate chunks in a medium bowl.
2. Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan, over low heat until it reaches a gentle boil. Remove from heat and pour hot cream over chocolate. Let the mixture stand for 30 seconds, then stir continuously until chocolate is melted and the mixture is fully combined and smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour the ganache on top of the cake. Use a spatula to smooth and fully cover the top.
For the Whipped Cream:
1. Combine heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl; beat on high speed until soft peaks have formed.
2. Top ganache covered cake with whipped cream, then add fresh berries. Serve immediately and enjoy!
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.